Water damage can bring a huge damage to your home, its neighborhood and your city. It is very important that you need to prepare for water damage. You must know what you should do during and after water damage.
What to do when water damage happens
- If water leak happens and there is flooding
- From the great number of sources like clogged drains, damaged skylights, broken pipes, windows or construction faults
- Keep your calm always.
- If you see any electrical appliance or outlet near the place of water damage, be extremely cautious and avoid all chances of electrocution. If you see any possible danger, you should immediately leave the area.
- When you identify the source of leak and you are confident that you can stop it, you must unclog drain, turn off water supply, disconnect all appliances from the wall, floor sockets etc.
- Behave as you are directed and help the authorities as they direct you to protect the objects in endangerment. Take all the important steps to keep off or remove quick water damage. You can cover the objects with plastic sheets and move them out of danger.
- Wear protective such as long sleeves clothes and latex gloves.
- If mold is there, you can wear the respirator.
- In case of any health hazard, contact the doctor and mycologist in case of infection.
- Always wash your hands following the usage materials with mold.
Recovery of water damage with mold
- Live mold may look either fuzzy or slimy.
- Do not try to take off the active mold. The inactive mold looks dry and powdery. Always see and follow the safety precautions to handle the mold.
- Stop the mold outbreaks by working to improve the environmental conditions.
- The humidity levels must be kept very low. They can possibly be below 50%. You must use the dehumidifier. The low temperatures are recommended to be below 68° F.
- The short exposure to sunlight and outdoor air circulation can help to dry the mold items quite rapidly.
- There can be light damage due to water, such as fading. You should use this treatment only with materials where the light damage is possible.
- When the mold becomes dormant by way of drying, you can easily remove it. It is easy to use a vacuum cleaner or the soft brush for this purpose.
- After you vacuum it, it is better to dispose of the bag. You must clean the brush to keep off the spread of the mold spores.
- Your safety precautions are very important.
- Water damage to materials can be irretrievable.
- Use fans to offer utmost air circulation. You should not aim the fans straight at the drying objects.
- Absorb the additional moisture using the paper, clean sponge, bath towels, etc.